The Job Description of a Release Manager
Performing a Release Manager job in a large company is not an easy role regardless if it's a permanent or contract role on a agile project/program. Across all the IT job functions the Release Manager role is typically one of the most demanding, busiest and somewhat stressful.
Typically a Release Manager needs to interface and communicate with Test Managers, Dev Managers, IT Ops and off-course the PMO on a daily basis. Equally, a Release Manager must be confident enough to manage up and provide reporting as well as meeting updates to the Senior IT Management like the CIO and CTO as well as business management.
<< Setting Up A Release Management Function? Consult the Cheat Sheet! >>
In our experiences finding a seasoned Release Manager is much harder than finding a great developer due to the fact they are less abundant in the market place. When hiring a Release Manager we have come up with a detailed job description which outlines the job requirements in detail.
Whether you're looking to hire a team or a single person for your Release Manager job, here is an example of the job description to land the right hire.
Release Manager Job Overview:You will own the Release Management lifecycle which includes scheduling, coordinating and the management of releases across the enterprise for multiple applications across various portfolios. The releases can be inclusive of application updates, operating system patches, security improvements, hardware upgrades, Projects and Programs. Where necessary you'll provides tools and services to help product management and project teams manage and deploy releases into production.
You will be responsible for implementing and managing release processes for code through development, test, and production environments. The Release Manager Job function works collaboratively with all participants in software development projects and is supportive of developers and testers as they set up their build dev/test environments.
This position also works with IT management to improve the software engineering processes and practices associated with continuously building, deploying, and updating software and environments.
The Release Management responsibilities also include building the IT Release Calendar in working closely with the IT release managers from different portfolios across IT and centralizing view of all releases. Leads the effort of defining the IT strategic direction for release management tools for IT to ensure the process requirements of release management are build in. The Release Manager will assist in managing projects and interdependencies to ensure milestone adherence to ensure the integrity of the release can be measured.
Role and Responsibilities
- Forward Plan the release windows and cycles across a portfolio
- Manage risks and resolves issues that affect release scope, schedule and quality
- Measure and monitor progress to ensure application releases are delivered on time and within budget, and that they meet or exceed expectations
- Coordinate release content and effort based on the service request backlog, pending service requests, third party applications, or operating system updates
- Communicate all key project plans, commitments, and changes including requirements, QA plans, schedule, and scope changes
- Manage relationships and coordinate work between different teams at different locations
- Conduct Release Readiness reviews, Milestone Reviews, and Business Go/No-Go reviews
- Produce Deployment, Run Books and Implementation Plans
- Weekly Release Reporting
- Communicate release details and schedules to the Business as required
- Negotiate, plan and manage all release activities
- Work with release engineers to understand impacts of branches and code merges
- Maintains the release schedule for all core services and ensure alignment across key partners and vendors.
- Continually work towards making improvements in the release process
- Lead and co-ordinate the Go-Live activities including the execution of the deployment Plans and checklists.
- Develops scripts and automation tools used to build, integrate, and deploy software releases to various platforms
- Participate in CAB meetings to discuss release scope and/or roadblocks
- Maintains a release repository and manages key information such as build and release procedures, dependencies, and notification lists
- Researches new software development and configuration management methodologies and technologies and analyzes their application to current configuration management needs
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field
- 2-6 years of previous release and/or project management experience, (Solid understanding of project management principles preferred)
- 8-10 years of experience in information systems operations environment in systems analysis or development
- Formal training in project management practices preferred
- Advanced knowledge of software development lifecycle
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate cross-functional work teams toward task completion
- Demonstrated effective leadership and analytical skills
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills are a must
- General PC knowledge including Microsoft Office expert level knowledge of Excel, working Knowledge of Access
A well-managed release bridges development & operations. Download our whitepaper to learn how >>