Plutora Blog - Release Management
ITIL Release Management SystemReading time 5 minutes
A release management system is an important component of the service transition process, which is described in the itSMF ITIL v3 framework. Release management plays a critical role in promoting software modules from development into the production environments. The IT organization’s goal of implementing the ITIL v3 framework is to ensure reliable services in support of the business.
Plutora offers unique ITIL compliant SaaS (Software As A Service) solutions and products for managing application code releases, suited for any large scale/mid-level companies. Plutora offers a set of integrated features that can be customised as per the ever-changing and dynamic nature of IT projects. This article highlights some of the features and solutions offered by Plutora, for implementing a Monolithic Release Management System. The products offered by Plutora is holistic, comprehensive and based upon industry best practices. Plutora’s products and solutions can be implemented in any type of companies (large/mid or small) and can greatly maximize the Return on Investments (ROI).
A typical release process consists of the stages illustrated in Figure 1.
Figure 1. Release Management Phases
Plutora’s release management system is scalable across the organization and provides all the features necessary to support the phases in Figure 1.
Plutora offers the following features within its Release Management product:
- Plutora Release Management System is a centralized SAAS based portal that helps organizations to manage and integrate enterprise releases. Since Plutora is a SaaS-based product, users will be able to access it from any geographic location with internet access.
- The Setup wizard guides the release managers to configure the complex resources required by the project.
- All the systems (hardware/software) required by a release can be managed from a central point.
- All the environments required by a release can be managed from a central point. In addition to this, environments can be associated with systems.
- Change Management is made simpler by managing all the changes that impact the releases from within the release management system.
- Plutora can help organizations to better control the roles/accountabilities, by policing strict RACI configurations.
- Multiple Users and groups can be created and associated with multiple releases. Security is greatly improved by granting the appropriate access levels to users based on their roles and responsibilities.
- Releases can be created, customized and modified as per the complex requirements of the project. Release schedules can be planned in advance and resources can be managed more efficiently.
- Plutora includes a very interactive dashboard that can be referred to Senior Management or for meetings, in order to obtain critical release updates and resource usage statistics.
- The release management phases can be customised and scaled as per the needs of the organization.
- Release and deployment phases are tightly integrated within the system.
- IT Governance is made simpler due to the centralized nature of the product.
Using Plutora to setup releases
Plutora contains the following features required for tightly integrating releases:
Setup of Portfolios within Organizations:
Organizations have varied requirements depending on their size and complexity. There may be multiple teams or Business Units that utilize resources and work on releases in parallel. Plutora makes this task very simple and easy by offering a centralized place to design and manage the organizational structure. Resources can be associated with business units or teams as it is required by projects.
Setup of Systems (aka Assets):
Managing IT Assets can be a daunting task in large organizations that may have thousands of servers and applications. This information can be easily configured from within Plutora. Metadata from Excel files can also be imported if the quantity is huge. Export feature is also available to export the system metadata from Plutora into Excel format.
Setup of Test Environments:
Any release system will have multiple environments such as System Test, UAT, Pre-Prod etc., where the application code will be deployed and accessed by users. Environments can be easily managed within Plutora by creating as many phases as required and associating systems with releases.
Add Changes (Release Scope):
In this dynamic IT field, projects can get too complicated and it isn’t uncommon to find frequent changes to resources. Any changes to the resources utilized by releases can either halt or delay the release process. Plutora offers a unique solution by integrating the change management aspects within the system. In case if there is any dependency by a release on some resource which has an unresolved change ticket, then all the stakeholders can be notified and the release plans can be modified from one single place.
Creation of the Releases:
In this dynamic IT field, projects can get too complicated and it isn’t uncommon to find multiple release phases by team or enterprise modules. Plutora’s release management solution can be used for managing and scaling the release plans/schedules as per the dynamic needs of the project.
The Release Management products and solutions offered by Plutora are unique and truly monolithic as per the requirements of ITIL guidelines. If implemented in a systematic manner, the tool can help to save a lot of unnecessary costs associated with people, mismanagement and operations.